Saturday, June 29, 2013

Review: Tango Contemporary Cafe

My husband and I love dining at Tango Contemporary Cafe. This popular restaurant occupies a small corner on the ground floor of the Hokua building a couple of blocks west of the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Although it's always a treat to have lunch or dinner at Tango, the breakfast service really shines!

We just had breakfast there last weekend and were surprised to see that their menu was updated recently. I ordered one of the new breakfast items, the Gravlax Pytt i Panna ($9.75) which is a Swedish-style hash of diced breakfast potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and smoked salmon topped with two sunny side eggs. This dish is similar to their "Pytt i Panna" ($9.25), which comes with diced ham and sausage instead of smoked salmon.

My husband's favorite is the Swedish Pancakes ($8.50) with fresh fruits, fruit compote, and whipped cream. He always orders a side of crispy bacon ($3.75) as well. I occassionally order the Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese and (toasted) Bagel ($10.50) which comes with all the trimmings. I have also tried the Shredded Duck Confit ($9.50) with onions, potatoes and eggs, but it's a bit too rich for me. I have not tried the healthy Bircher Muesli ($7.25) but I know it's popular because I see a lot of people ordering it.

The "benedict dishes" are very popular and Tango offers traditional Eggs Benedict ($9.75) plus a few variations such as Crab Hash Benedict ($10.50), Gravlax Benedict ($10), and Loco Moco Eggs Benedict ($10.25) which is Asian-style braised beef atop local-style fried rice. All of the benedict dishes are topped with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. I have tasted every variation and my favorite is the Crab Hash Benedict with the hollandaise sauce served on the side.

Tango is also known for their delicious coffee. They have a special expresso machine that can turn regular coffee into a really special cup of coffee ($2.25 with one refill). My husband rarely drinks coffee, but he always orders a cup once he smells mine.  I like it when he orders the Swedish Pancakes because he doesn't use the rich whipped cream, which I happily plop into my coffee!

Gravlax Pytt I Panna

Swedish Pancakes with a side order of bacon 



If you can't make it to Tango for breakfast, you can stop by for lunch or dinner. I have two absolute favorites for lunch at Tango. The first is the Hearts of Romaine Classic Caesar Salad with Blackened Mahimahi ($13.00). The mahi is always very fresh! My second favorite is Chef Goran's Signature Open Faced Gravlax Sandwich on Finnish Rye Bread ($12.50). The combination of gravlax, Boursin cheese spread, boiled egg slices, tomatoes, cucumber and mustard dill sauce is so satisfying and delicious! All of the sandwiches come with a choice of baby greens with balsamic vinaigrette or lightly seasoned fries.

Caesar Salad with Blackened Mahimahi



Chef Goran's Signature Gravlax Sandwich



For dinner, I like to start off with the rich Escargot on Sour Dough Crostini ($10.50) to share with my husband. For my entree, my favorite is the Mustard Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb ($28.50) with tapenade demi glace and rosemary mashed potatoes. I'm sad to learn that my other favorite entree, a shellfish with fettuccini dish, is no longer on their menu. However, it looks like it may have been replaced with the Sauteed Langoustines with Handcut Fetuccine ($21.50) with smoked trout roe, lobster cream, and pesto. I will definitely be trying this new dish during my next visit to see how it compares. My husband also likes the Bouillabaisse of Fresh Island Fish, Clams, Prawns and Mussels, which is a very good deal at $24.50. The seafood is always fresh at Tango!

Free parking is available in the Hokua building with validation. Be prepared to add your name to a list to wait for a table if you don't have a reservation. Breakfast is first come, first served.

Tango Contemporary Cafe
1288 Ala Moana Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 593-7288
www.tangocafehawaii.com

No comments:

Post a Comment