Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Review: Cafe Blue

Café Blue is located on the sixth floor of Bank of Hawaii's main branch. It is open to the public and serves as the bank's employee cafeteria. You won't be able to find it from the street unless you know that you have to go inside the bank to get there. My coworker and I entered the bank and walked toward the elevators on the makai (south) wall. A security guard is posted nearby, but he didn't say anything as I pressed the elevator button to go up.
 
The cafe's atmosphere is clean, relaxed and new. There are flat screen televisions on the walls, plenty of light coming through large windows, and adequate seating. There is also seating on the lanai outside. You can help yourself to 'grab and go' salads (pasta, Cobb, Caesar, grilled chicken) from the open cooler shelves. There were also two pots of self-serve soups and a pot of vegetarian chili. The café offers daily entrée specials in addition to regular menu items, which are mostly sandwiches. Hot items are ordered directly from the cashier. When your order is ready, the cashier calls your number so you can pick up your food.

My coworker ordered a Fried Fish Sandwich ($7.95) which was two breaded and fried fish filets on a hamburger bun. She was surprised to see that her mayo-laden coleslaw was inside the sandwich instead of on the side. She didn't care for the coleslaw being served this way, but she ate most of her sandwich. I was hungry and ordered the Café Blue Burger ($7.95) which was a standard beef patty served on a hamburger bun with cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado spread and a seedy brown mustard. I didn't care for the taste of the sweet mustard and I was expecting avocado slices instead of avocado spread. Both orders came with a choice of fries or tossed salad. We both had the fries, which was the best part of our meal.

Despite the average-quality food, you have to remember that this place is really an employee cafeteria. (I believe bank employees get a good discount.) Specials change daily so there is good variety for regular patrons. The portions are generous, the prices are reasonable, and the location is too close to my office to ignore. So, I decided to give the café a second try and went back with my husband the following week.

This time, I ordered the Fresh Catch Sandwich ($7.95) which was a nicely seasoned slice of opah (moonfish) with lettuce, tomato, tartar sauce, and avocado spread on a hamburger bun. The fish was delicious, but there was too much tartar sauce and too much avocado spread. It pains me to say this because I am 'the condiment queen.' However, too much sauce caused the bun to fall apart before I could finish my sandwich. My husband had the Club Sandwich ($7.95) which was a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich with turkey. He opted for white bread (instead of brown) and fries (instead of tossed greens). He was very happy with his lightly grilled sandwich as we ate our lunch in air conditioned comfort.
 
Café Blue
Bank of Hawaii Building
111 S. King Street, 6th Floor
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Hours:
Monday to Friday
Breakfast - 7:00 - 10:00
Lunch - 11:00 - 2:00


 

Fried Fish Sandwich
 

Café Blue Burger
 

Fresh Catch Sandwich
 
 
Club Sandwich 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment