Saturday, November 2, 2013

Highway Inn Kakaako is Open!

Craving ono Hawaiian (and local) food? Family-owned Highway Inn has finally opened their Kakaako location for lunch service! A long time institution in Waipahu, the Toguchi family has operated Highway Inn for three generations to the delight of Leeward Oahu residents. Hawaiian and local dishes made from scratch (and by memory) are now also readily available to those who live and work downtown.

My husband and Daughter #1 accompanied me for lunch today at Highway Inn Kakaako at the former location of Little George's Mustache on Ala Moana Boulevard. The décor is new but has an "old" feel with picnic bench seating and a few barstools at the counter. We sat at the counter and looked at the menu, which was a printed on a sheet of paper attached to a clipboard. The selections are a little different from the Waipahu location, but the same Combination Plates that Highway Inn is known for are on the menu. However, I was sad that my favorite Hamburger Steak plate didn't make it. (Refer to my June 2013 post about Highway Inn's original location in Waipahu.)

Both my husband and daughter ordered the Stew Combination Plate which included stew, poi (or rice), pipikaula, lomi salmon (or macaroni/potato salad), and haupia. I ordered the Fried Fresh Fish, which was a whole fried akule (about 7 inches long) with rice and macaroni/potato salad. The fish was indeed fresh, lightly fried and lightly salted. It was delicious, but akule is a very bony fish so I had to pull out the bones with my fingers. Not a problem, though, because this restaurant is very casual. I even licked my fingers between bites as I ate my food from a take-out container.

The restaurant's busy, open-format kitchen is in full view of diners as well as the take-out counter on the side of the dining room. Our entire bill came to less than $37.00 - not bad at all! Breakfast service will begin on November 4th with dinner service starting November 11th. Call ahead for the restaurant's hours or just to listen to their hilarious phone recording. Highway Inn also offers island-wide catering service from their Waipahu location.

Highway Inn - Kakaako
680 Ala Moana Boulevard #105
Honolulu, HI 96813

Stew Combination Plate
 
Fried Akule
 
Counter seating in the Dining Room
  
Take-Out Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment