Saturday, April 27, 2013

UPDATE: Cafe Central Honolulu - HAS CLOSED

Update: 6/10/14 - Café Central closed it's doors on Friday. According to their Facebook page, their last day of business is June 13, 2014. However, the Café was closed when I walked by this morning.

Original Post: 4/27/13
This new coffee shop is located on the first floor of the First Hawaiian Bank Center. When you enter the lobby, look to the right of the elevators. The small space that was once a closet holds another option for those tired of the long lines at Starbucks. There is even a small eating area despite the tight quarters.

The breakfast sandwich is comprised of a rustic roll, bacon, chopped boiled eggs, and pesto mayonnaise ($6.95). Rich, but so yummy! Their bakery items are from Fendu Boulangerie Bakery, which is great for those of us who can't get to Manoa during lunch time. I haven't tried any of the pastries, but you can't go wrong if it's from Fendu. I ordered the grande Americano ($2.85) on two different occasions, but it wasn't strong enough for me with just 2 shots instead of 3 shots at Starbucks. A third shot would set you back 75 cents. Interestingly, the second time I ordered it, the Americano was even weaker than the first time. Perhaps they are still trying to get up to speed since they are relatively new.

I went back during lunch time a few days later and I noticed that everyone was ordering the Acai Bowl ($6.25) so I decided to give it a try. The portions were generous with several scoops of acai "sherbet" topped with FRESH blueberries, strawberries, bananas, honey, and buttery, crunchy granola. Although I don't usually have "dessert" for lunch, the Acai Bowl is refreshing and satisfying. (I tried the Acai Bowl at Down to Earth's Pearlridge store and was disappointed that the berries were still frozen and gave me a brain freeze.)

Undaunted by my so-so experience with the Cafe's Americano, I went back to try their Pour Over coffee, hoping it would be similar to Blue Bottle coffee. I asked how it was prepared when I placed my order and the barista confirmed that it was made in the same manner as Blue Bottle. Unfortunately, my large Pour Over ($3.50) was VERY watery and I didn't bother to finish it. A coworker tagged along because she wanted to try the lunch items. Her first comment was that the lunch menu was very small. She ordered the Israeli Salad ($5.95 + 50 cents each for boiled eggs and chicken) but was surprised that the salad didn't include greens to go with the delicious feta, tomatoes, chicken, eggs and abundant cucumbers. The menu didn't mention that it included greens, but my friend pointed out that some menus don't list greens as an ingredient if the dish is listed under "salad." She asked for some lettuce greens and another portion of their house made dressing. They obliged and didn't charge for the additions. Unfortunately, the oil in the dressing tasted old and on its way to being rancid. To add insult to injury, my friend's Chai Latte was also too watery.

We spoke to someone who seemed to be the manager although she never identified herself as the manager. When told that the dressing didn't taste right because the oil was old, her initial response was, "No it's not." Another staff member came over to join the discussion and smelled the nearly empty dressing container and said that it just smelled like olive oil. I don't know if they don't cook so they are unfamiliar with fresh ingredients or if they really couldn't tell the difference. (My coworker thinks that their sense of smell is dulled because they smell coffee all day.) My experienced palate detected a near-rancid odor and the "off" taste was very obvious. The manager admitted that she didn't know that oil can go bad! Although she didn't seem to agree with our assessment, the manager offered to replace my friend's salad with something else from their menu. At that point, my friend had lost her trust in this establishment and declined the offer. I had the delicious Acai Bowl (for the second time) while my friend was stuck with her bad salad.

Bottom Line: I would definitely go back for the Acai Bowl and probably for the Breakfast Sandwich and pastries. However, I will definitely NOT be going back for coffee.

Cafe Central Honolulu
999 Bishop Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Ph: (808) 306-9284
www.cafecentralhonolulu.com

Hours
Mon - Fri: 6:00am to 5:00pm






 
Breakfast Sandwich on Fendu's rustic roll
 



The Acai Bowl

No comments:

Post a Comment