Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: Sushi & Bibimbap

Note: Updated 5/31/13 with a photo of the spicy pork bibimbap.

Original Post:
There is a little take-out place next to the main entrance of the City Financial Building in downtown Honolulu that is easy to overlook. Besides sushi and bibimbap, they also sell a variety of other dishes including noodles and plate lunches. If you have a chance to have lunch here, I highly recommend the bibimbap!

The first time I ever tasted bibimbap was on a Korean Airlines flight to Seoul. I have not been able to find bibimbap in Hawaii that is comparable in flavor and texture --- until now! Bibimbap is comprised of a bed of warm rice topped with a variety of fresh vegetables, egg, kim chee and your choice of meat. I ordered the spicy pork topping the first time and it was so flavorful that I didn't need to add the sauce ($7.99). I ordered the beef topping during my second visit and had to use a little of the (kochujang) sauce to add more flavor. I loved the shredded turnip kimchee and the marinated shiitake mushrooms, which made this dish special. Also, a light miso soup was included with my order.

A photo of the owner accepting an award for "Best Bibimbap" is taped to the inside of the glass door alongside photos of their menu items. The owner takes the orders himself and is very cordial. The first time I ordered bibimbap from this place, he made sure that I knew what I was ordering and that I knew to mix the ingredients together before devouring! He gave me both "hot" and "regular" sauce and told me to taste the sauces first before pouring them over my food. I think this shows how much he cares about the quality of his product!

The place is very tiny and only two people can fit in the space allotted to customers to place their order. After I ordered and paid, I waited outside on the sidewalk until my made-to-order dish was ready. There are a few outdoor tables along side the building, but I don't think they are reserved for the restaurant's patrons. I'll try their sushi in the near future but only after my craving for their scrumptious bibimbap has been satisfied.

The nearest affordable parking is at the Main Post Office, which is less than a block away. Don't forget to bring quarters for the parking meter.

Sushi & Bibimbap 
201 Merchant Street, #101
Honolulu, HI 96813

Hours:
Monday to Friday - 6:30 am to 6:00 pm

Bibimbap with Pork



Bibimbap with Beef

No comments:

Post a Comment