Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review: Hy's Steakhouse - Waikiki

Now that I've had my fill of over-rated, trendy new restaurants that seem to come and go with the wind, I was happy to learn that Hy's Steakhouse is still doing what they do best. My husband and I had dinner there to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary last month. I haven't thought about Hy's in years but when I found out that they still serve Beef Wellington, I was eager to return. The waiters still wear tuxedos and the warm wood decor and plush seating welcomed us back. We were seated in one of the corner booths where we could see the entire room. The hostess said it was one of the best tables in the house. Audy Kimura entertained us with his timeless, relaxing guitar music just as he did when we dined at Hy's for our first anniversary back in 1983. It was so nostalgic.

We started the meal by sharing an order of Escargot ala Hy's. It was prepared the traditional way (garlic butter) and served with bread. My husband ordered the Onion Soup Gratinee which I helped finish after he ate all of the rich cheese on top. For our entrees, he had the 14 oz boneless rib eye steak (Delmonico) which came with delicious whipped garlic mashed potatoes. I ordered the Beef Wellington, of course, accompanied by a baked potato with all of the decadent toppings (butter, sour cream, bacon bits, and chives)! My first bite did not disappoint. The puff pastry shell was light and crispy while the beef tenderloin was perfectly cooked and so tender. Let's not forget the delicious pate/mushroom layer in between. My mouth is watering as I type this post!

We were pleased with not only the classic preparation of our delicious meal but also the classic-size portions. I cut my Wellington right down the middle and took half home for dinner the next day. My husband did the same with his steak. The only thing that was a little disappointing was the Cheese Bread. Thirty years ago, they served it with a savory garlicky bread. Perhaps my taste buds have changed over the years but I didn't find it to be as special as I remembered.

For dessert, we were treated to a piece of cheesecake which we took home for our daughter. I was looking forward to having Cherries Jubilee instead. Our dessert was prepared for us tableside by Marc, the assistant manager. When our dish was ready, he carefully served the fat cherries and warm sauce over vanilla ice cream. It was a large serving. I think I counted 10 cherries in my serving alone. I'm not sure because I was too busy enjoying my dessert.

Although we dined on a Thursday, the restaurant was packed. Despite having many tables, our friendly waiter, Chris, provided excellent service. Coincidentally, we discovered at the end of our meal that we know Chris' father. What a small world!

The only minor drawback is the restroom is located in the lobby of the hotel instead of in the restaurant. On the plus side, the valet parking was free. Our entire bill for this wonderful dinner (with leftovers for a second meal) was less than $200. I highly recommend Hy's Steakhouse for your next special occasion!

Hy's Steakhouse
2440 Kuhio Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815
www.hyshawaii.com


Onion Soup Gratinee

Beef Wellington with baked potato and all the toppings

Complementary cheesecake

The preparation of a classic dessert - Cherries Jubilee

Yummy!




2 comments:

  1. I must revisit Hy's after reading your blog..
    Leona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Leona - You really must give Hy's another try. You won't be disappointed! Just be sure to make a reservation. Karen

      Delete