Monday, September 1, 2014

Breakfast at The Pineapple Room

My husband and I like to stop at the The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong for lunch on the weekends once in a while. The restaurant is nicely decorated in neutral tones and it's a treat to dine in pleasant (air conditioned) surroundings where the servers wear uniforms that do not consist of black t-shirts and jeans. We usually sit at the counter and order a carafe of plantation iced tea to go with our lunch. The convenient location on the third floor of Macy's Ala Moana Center store is a pleasant a break from shopping. With all of the construction going on at the Center, we try to arrive as early as possible to find decent parking.

We heard that The Pineapple Room serves breakfast on the weekends and decided to check it out on Saturday. I was happy to find that the price of breakfast was reasonable given the moderately-upscale venue. I ordered the Homemade Corned Beef Hash, which came with eggs prepared to order and a choice of potatoes, white rice, brown, rice, or fried rice for $12.75. I asked the waitress for her suggestion and she recommended the fried rice. I'm glad that I took her suggestion and really enjoyed the little bits of kalua pork that flavored the fried rice just right. I also ordered the house coffee for $3.00, which included my own private pot of coffee for easy refills.

My husband had Two Eggs Any Style for $11.00, which came with meat of your choice and the same starch selection I was offered. He chose crispy bacon and brown rice. We were both surprised to see that his plate was sprinkled with a green onion oil. My husband said it was good, despite his dislike of onions on his breakfast.

I admit that we were a bit shy and ordered "safe" dishes for our first breakfast visit to The Pineapple Room, but we will be back. There were a few intriguing items on the menu that I want to try. The first is "Spong," which the waitress said is Chef Alan Wong's own homemade version of Spam. (Get it? Spam plus Wong equals Spong.) The other dish I want to try is the Asparagus Omelet with Bacon Vinaigrette. I saw another customer eating it at a nearby table and she seemed to be enjoying her meal. Check out their breakfast menu for more information. Breakfast is served Saturdays 8:00 to 10:30 a.m. and Sunday 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. The Pineapple Room takes reservations for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong
(Located on the third floor of Macy's Ala Moana Center)
1450 Ala Moana Boulevard, #1300, Honolulu, HI 96814
Ph: (808) 945-6573


Homemade Corned Beef Hash, Eggs Over Easy, and Pineapple Ketchup with Fried Rice

Eggs Any Style with Bacon, Green Onion Oil, and Brown Rice


No comments:

Post a Comment