Sunday, May 31, 2015

Lunch at Budnamujip

My coworker, JA, and I were looking for a place to have lunch as we walked along Kapiolani Boulevard after a business meeting. We decided to try Budnamujip Korean Restaurant, which occupies the former Flamingo's Restaurant, next to Jack-in-the-Box. As we approached the restaurant, we could smell a delicious aroma of barbecue and garlic, which you would expect from a Korean restaurant. I later found out from my Korea-born friend, KC, that this restaurant is very popular in Korea. The Honolulu restaurant was opened by the owner's daughter.

The valet parking attendant in the narrow lot wasn't busy and neither was the restaurant. I counted roughly 6 other tables of customers. This establishment is upscale as reflected in the prices on the menu. However, the food is authentic and delicious and the portions are generous. KC told me that she has lunch there on a regular basis because the dinner menu is substantially more expensive. Budnamujip is essentially a Korean barbecue restaurant. Each table is equipped with a grill and overhead vent. Priced at over $30 per person for a yakiniku-style lunch, we opted instead for a lighter meal.

JA ordered the Galbi Tang (beef rib soup) for which this restaurant is famous. KC later told me that this dish is only served during lunch and is what draws most people there for lunch. No wonder the waiter asked if we wanted two orders when JA placed her order! The Galbi Tang was delicious and tasted like prime rib, but in soup form. JA was very happy with her order, which was served in a metal bowl, designed to keep the soup hot. She was also pleasantly surprised when she unwrapped her chopsticks to find that they were made of metal instead of disposable wood.

I ordered the Bibimbap ($14.95) which was nicely presented with the vegetables and egg arranged in a metal bowl and the rice and kochujang sauce served on the side. My dish was served with 2 soups. The first was a hot and slightly spicy miso with bean sprouts and napa cabbage. The second was a clear, cold "water kim chee" soup, which was flavored with slices of white turnip. Although I can get a more generous serving of bibimbap at the take-out place across the street from my office, you can't beat Budnamujip for atmosphere and service. Also, the take-out place doesn't come with 2 soups, hot barley tea, and "banchan."

The complementary "banchan," or (shared) side dishes, consisted of napa cabbage kim chee, turnip kim chee, cold sautéed greens, and spicy pickled onions. As is always the case when I eat "real" Korean food (not the stuff from chain restaurants), the heat from the chili peppers is not immediately apparent. However, after a few minutes, I start to feel the heat creep up my face until my nose starts to run and my eyelids feel tingly. Good stuff! I recommend treating yourself to a delicious meal at Budnamujip the next time you're in the mood for authentic Korean cuisine.

871 Kapiolani Boulevard, Honolulu, HI 96813
Ph: (808) 593-8822


Galbi Tang


Complementary Side Dishes

Bibimbap

Miso Soup (upper left), Water Kim Chee Soup (upper right)

Street view

Interior view









No comments:

Post a Comment