Sunday, May 24, 2015

Square Barrels Now Serves Breakfast

As many who work in Downtown Honolulu may know, Square Barrels finally opened recently in the long-empty spot at Bishop Square that was once occupied by Che Pasta. I've only been to Square Barrels twice; once for lunch and once for breakfast. Although my lunch (mushroom fettuccine) was delicious, I am writing today about the new "Brefix (breakfast) Service," offered Monday-Friday, 6:00-11:00 am.

My friend, MC, was their very first breakfast customer last week. She ordered the Benny with smoked salmon and was so impressed that she sent me a detailed message about it. We immediately made plans to meet at Square Barrels at 7:00 the next morning. 

I had to try their version of Eggs Benedict, the "Benny" ($14) after MC's favorable review. Given the choice between the daily charcuterie or smoked salmon, I chose the latter. My scrumptious breakfast consisted of 2 perfectly poached eggs and slices of smoked salmon on a split, toasted English muffin. A light hollandaise sauce coated both pieces. I especially enjoyed the side of sautéed kale and fresh crimini mushrooms. I ate half of my breakfast and took the rest back to the office. I couldn't wait to eat the rest of my breakfast and had it later that day for lunch.

MC ordered Pancakes and Bacon ($10). Although the bacon wasn't very crispy, the pancakes were deliciously light and buttery. I am not a pancake fan, but Square Barrels got it right. I was excited to see that this establishment offered Illy coffee, but was disappointed to find my cup of coffee to be just average.

You can find Square Barrels on Facebook, but they don't have a website yet. Although they are known for their hamburgers and lively happy hour, I recommend giving their Brefix a try. Their short menu bears dishes with intriguing names, such as "Malasada Burger," "Cranachan," and "Eggs Squared."

Square Barrels 
1001 Bishop Street, Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 524-4727
https://www.facebook.com/squarebarrels


The Benny with Smoked Salmon

Pancakes and Bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment