Friday, May 23, 2014

Ono Pops (Yes, they are!)

With summer coming up fast, I have a new secret weapon for staying cool - Ono Pops! The aptly named Ono Pops ('ono' means delicious in Hawaiian) offers 30 distinctive and unusual flavors made with only organic, local ingredients.

So far, I have only tried four flavors. Here they are according to preference:

Pineapple Li Hing
Chunks of lovely frozen pineapple lightly flavored with sweet/salty li hing powder.* I initially made a face when I heard of this flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally tasted it! The fruit was so dense in this little pop that it was almost like biting into a freshly frozen slice of pineapple. I was inspired to start this post after trying this flavor for the first time!

Kula Strawberry and Maui Goat Cheese
Creamy, refreshing and delish! There is a slight "goat cheesy" flavor but the natural strawberry bits and creamy flavor are more prominent. I attended a party one hot afternoon where these were being handed out to the guests. I had two!

Pineapple Vanilla
Vanilla is my favorite flavor for shave ice, popsicles, snow cones, etc. so I had to try this flavor. I'm not sure if the flavors are supposed to be mixed or layered, but the top tasted like fresh vanilla ice cream with a hint of pineapple while the bottom of the pop tasted like diluted pineapple juice with no vanilla flavor. It was a nice treat nevertheless, and it left me feeling cool and refreshed.

Kalamansi Coriander
My initial impression upon tasting this pop was a clean, fresh, lime flavor. However, this pop quickly became too tart for me. There is also a slightly bitter after taste, which made this flavor not among my favorites. Interestingly, I met someone who said that the bitter after taste is the very reason this flavor is his favorite. Yes, there is a flavor for everyone!

Until today, I never paid for an Ono Pop so I wasn't sure about the price. I didn't have a good photo either (tastes so good, melts so fast) so I went to my neighborhood Foodland Supermarket to buy a variety pack. I found just two boxes in the frozen gourmet/natural foods section. Both contained Pineapple Vanilla and Pineapple Li Hing. I paid $9.99 for a box of four pops, two of each flavor.

Go to the Ono Pops website for a list of Oahu stores and farmer's markets that sell these beauties. You can also hire Ono Pops for special events, which is where I got my first taste of my new favorite frozen treat. And don't let the unusual flavors dissuade you from trying them. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and happy once you give these pops a try. It's going to be a long, hot summer and I can hardly wait to try more flavors!

You can also find them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OnoPops/108529795845932

*Li Hing Powder - Sweet and salty reddish powder originally used to flavor Chinese dried plum snacks, known in Hawaii as Li Hing Mui.

Pineapple Li Hing (still in the wrapper) and Pineapple Vanilla

Ono Pops Variety Pack

No comments:

Post a Comment